When it runs out of gas.....

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Duncan90si, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I'm running a 28hp efi Super Z. I get so spoiled by the fuel capacity that I have ran it out of gas in one tank a few times before switching tanks. Everytime I do this it is such a PITA. It usually takes 10-15 minutes to get it running again, and thats if the battery doesn't die due to cranking it over. Its very annoying and somewhat embarrassing. Yeah I know I should just keep an eye on the fuel a little closer, but why is it so difficult to get running again?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The EFI Super Z's use a electric fuel pump, when you run the system dry you are running the large fuel filter dry also, you need to know how to prime the system when you run it out of gas.
    I have information around here somewhere... let me find it and post it...

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is a note from our service department in regards to running the EFI out of fuel.

Restarting the engine after running out of fuel:
    If a customer runs out of fuel and if he refills the tanks and then cranks the engine continuously until
    it starts, there is a significant risk of damaging the starter or burning out the fuel pump.
    The ECU will automatically cycle the fuel pump to prime the system, avoiding any possible damage.
    Turn the key switch to the “on” position for one minute before attempting to start.

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

Yeah I have tried that many times. If it happens again maybe I'll leave the key in the on position longer than I was. I have been keeping a closer eye on the fuel level lately to avoid this all together.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The way Kohler tells you to do this does not work well, believe me I know.

The easiest way is to turn the key to the on position take a small container (I used a WD-40 cap) remove the cap on the schrader valve (looks just like the valve stem on a vehicle tire) hold the cap or whatever under the valve and push it in until gas comes out. You will here and see the air come out until you get a solid stream of gas, it may take 2 or 3 half caps full but you can tell when the air is out then put the cap back on the valve and it will start right up. The reason I say half caps full is because it is easier handle and get away from the engine. With the key in the on position the electric fuel pump is pushing the gas up and you open the valve to bleed it, believe me it is very simple and quick.

6. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Also if you look at your fuel line you will see a fitting that looks like a air valve on a bike tire remove the cap and push in the valve and bleed the air out. this will be much faster

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I certainly urge caution when bleeding it through the shrader valve, this can be dangerous.

8. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I've run out a few times.. Best results have been to turn the key on and walk away.. I usually go do my trimming or whatever else and by the time that's done it will kick right off.. It seems that the higher the ambient temp. it is more stubborn.. I believe that on the hottest days it does try to vapor lock when I idle it down..

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I ran out of gas with my 28 efi this morning on the side of the road for the first time in 250 hrs. from me just not paying attention. I turned the key on like the operators manual states, followed their procedure to the tee and it has not cranked yet. I found a Coke can in the road ditch cut it in half and held it under the schrader valve, took my pocket knife and released maybe 1 oz. of gas and it started right up and ran perfectly.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've run out a handful of times, and NEVER once was I able to restart it with out bleeding the schrader valve. I can cycle with the key till the cows come home. It's really a shame, because I usually run out with at least a gallon or more still in the tank. I just happen to be cutting on an incline. Of course it doesn't help when my fuel pick-up hose is in the HIGHEST part of the tank (rear).