When it won't crank(start)...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by allstar, Jul 3, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Now that I'm getting a little busier I'm having to divide my equipment up among the various jobs and don't always have back-up trimmers,blowers etc.Also,even though I keep everything pretty well maintained the eqipment is starting to show signs of age.
    Other than obvious things like changing the spark plugs and making sure that nothing has come loose,what else should I check in the event that a mower or some other piece of equipment fails to start?What spare parts should I keep in my truck?Thanks for the help.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Just how big of a truck do you have? You'll need a parts truck and a tool truck and still will not be able to take care of much in the field. No matter how many parts you take a lot the one part you do not have will be the one you'll need. Your best bet is to keep in simple. A small tool set, a jack, some way to fix flat tires, spare fuses, spare belts. You will learn as you go alone what your mowers will need and add to the list as you go. I have found that any thing more than a simple repair like a spark plug change or a fuel filter change is really more trouble than it is worth. The list of reasons why any given piece of equipment may malfunction is endless. I know people who have tried the "Mobile Repair Shop" idea and they found out real quick it just does not work. Spend two hours trying to make a repair in the field that would take 30 minutes at home, well you do the math. And another problem is EACH piece of equipment has its own personality. What some one else's mower may needs yours will not act the same way. It really is a learning experience.