When on site, order of doing things

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

When you arrive at a lawn maintenance site, what order do you do things?

Do you trim first with the trimmer, then use the small mower for tight areas and then go with the "big" mower to cover the open areas, or do you do things vice-versa or in a different order?

And if you use a stick edger for the edging along sidewalks, do you do that in the beginning of the job or is that last thing you do?

Thanks for any insight!

2. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

solo....turn beds ,cut,trim,edge ,blow and go
    with a helper
    once in a while my cousin helps
    he does beds
    i start cutting
    then he trims and edges
    by then ill be finished cutting and blow all walks off.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Do you find that if you cut first, then edge/trim, you leave clippings of assorted lenghts on top of the cut lawn, so it doesn't look that great?

Then again, if you cut first, you know exactly where you missed in cutting so you know exactly where to trim. I have trimming where I THINK the mower won't fit, then cutting, and then when done, realizing that the mower missed a spot or didn't get around something as good as I thought it would and have to go and re-trim again.. Thanks!

4. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Edge
    cut
    trim
    blow

Worker edges first, while I start to cut then he trims and one or both of us blow things off.

5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i use to trim first but sometimes would have to back and hit something again .plus who cares if clippings are on the lawn because you still have to blow .

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I find that if I edge first then any debris can just be mowed over and dispersed. For the rest sometimes if I know the job well I'll trim first then mow, then blow. I always train my guys to mow first then trim just so they don't have to go back and fix things-an extra 5 minutes at a job does'nt seem like much but multiply that by 12 jobs and you wasted an hour each day. Bottom lines are tight in this biz- efficiency really counts and it also usually leads to better quality.

7. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Solo I trim, edge, cut, blow

two man crew one edges front and back the other mows the back first, then the front and starts edging. By this time the triming should be done front and back. so he comes up and starts blowing the finished edged areas.. one person is always up front with the trailer....to many thing go missing..:alien:

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I always edge, string trim, push mow small areas (where necessary), and then mow with the Lazer, and then blow off. I save the easy stuff for the end, get the hard stuff done first! Plus with trimming debris being sometimes pretty long, the mower mulches them up and disperses them.

As for not trimming enough and having to go back and touch up at the end??? Never had to do that! I know EXACTLY where the Lazer can and CAN'T go! I guess I'm just GOOD :D

9. walters lawn

walters lawn LawnSite Member

MOW FIRST IF TOU ARE TRIMING EVERY WEEK THAY ARE NOT THAT LONG.

10. Parrothead

Parrothead LawnSite Member

I trim first only if I know everything needs trimming, otherwise cut first. Always blow last, if thats even an option in order.