When overseeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn Made Easy, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Lawn Made Easy

Lawn Made Easy LawnSite Member
    from VA

What do you consider the steps to properly over seed a yard with a turf type tall fescue blend. I know and already have aerated in multiple directions. Next I plan to use a good quality seed. I have already sent off to have a soil sample test done but I want to know if you guys recommend using a starter fert when over-seeding. I normally just use a fall application fert but maybe this year I will go with a starter.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I just started overseeding this year, so I may not have the best info. I purchased my seed and fert from Lesco. I used a starter fert from them and I seeded a yard on 9/11 and the grass is coming up great. The steps you are/have taken are correct in my view.

wayne

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

My steps are simple. I get the soil test in hand before even starting the work. If large amounts of lime are needed, and in my area it usually is, I like to apply the lime about two weeks before doing any other work. I prefer an areovator to an areator and will broadcast all fertilizer and seed before areovating, I will make a minimum of two "slow" passes with the areovator. This works the seed and fertilizer into the soil. Mow in three weeks.