When roadside do you run lights?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rclay11541, Mar 28, 2005.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Some of you might remember my thread about that kid that sideswiped me while i was parked in a res neighborhood. I am looking to avoid the same thing happening and was wondering how you guys deal with it, if at all.

Im thinking of using cones about 50ft behind the trailer or getting a amber light bar for the top of each truck or strobes in the existing truck tail and turnsignal lenses.

Comments?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

And I use all 3 of those items for safety.I have LED lights in my trailers and it really gets your attention...

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Cones are a good idea. Strobes in the truck or trailer lenses can be beneficial as well.

How about just using your 4-way flashers?

4. rclay11541

the realy in the flashers in my trucks aren't designed for contiuous use i keep blowing it out and there is no electrical problem everyone has told me there not intended to be used but once in a great while.

5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I might put one cone by the trailer in a residential neighborhood.

I do a gas station and always wear a bright orange reflective vest when I do it (and I'm real careful).

It sounds like you just had some bad luck in that neighborhood. What are the odds that would happen again to you? Probably quite small.

6. rclay11541

chances are quite smalll but i am a small company if another car does that it will probably put me out of business it nearly did last year.

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would be real careful of running any type of lights for a long time without the truck running. I ran a battery down on my truck and was lucky to have another lco down the street that gave me a jump. I would say if you have 2 or 3 cones you should be ok.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Really, I thought that the 4way flasher could be run for a very long time. I think up to 12 hours or somthing. They are intended for continual use in the event of a breakdown..etc.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

A orange cone or two behind the trailer and maybe another in front of the truck should work good. From time to time, when I have to park on a somewhat high traffic street I turn on my four ways. I have also seen a few other LCOs do the same. I have let my four ways run for 45min to an hour before with no problems.

10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

One orange cone, and an amber quad flash strobe light on the driver's side of the backrack.
    Strobes are very effective, plus i just think they're cool lol