When running doubles question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by subdube, Sep 8, 2003.

1. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

When running doubles should there be different offsets to the blades so that the cutting edge is the same height. Or is the bottom blade all ways lower.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The bottom blade will always be lower, there is no special blade for doubles. Unless you run Meg Mo blades then all four blades cut the grass at the same height. www.meg-mo.com

3. DLCS

Here is what the Meg-Mo blades look like. They are on a JD 7Iron deck.

mowing 010ls7iron2.jpg

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Errrrrrr...... not really. Hustler, Bobcat and a few others run standard bentblades that have 5/8" or so drop. If you then install a straight Gator blade "under" the stock blade, the gator will "still' be "above" the stock blade, so you don't have to change deck height. naturally you can space the Gator lower to cut in the same plane as the stock blade.
    Pete

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

DLCS, how the heck do you sharpen those things?

:(

6. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

DLCS, do you like the Meg-Mo's.

7. DLCS

Raise the mower up and fold back the blade and sharpen with a air sander or remove the whole unit and sharpen them in the vise. The one thing I don't do is unbolt the blade from the disk. I'm now going at least 3 times as long on my sharpenings from using the stock JD blades.

8. DLCS

Yes, I do. I've been using them for just over a month now and I don't have any problems with them thus far. The best thing is I don't have to sharpen them as much and they don't nick.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Think I'll just stick with my doubles. :cool: