When should I change my oil?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Feb 3, 2009.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I'm near 6k miles on Mobile 1 and my oil light has not gone off yet, oil is light brown on dipstick. I used to change at 4 regardless of the light coming on or not, think I'll go longer this time. What do you guys running synthetic suggest?

2. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Run it until the light comes on. Drain it and fill w/ Amsoil and see how many miles you go until the light comes on again. I would be curious to know.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The oil light on Chevy/GMC's is triggered by engine hours, not miles or how dirty the oil is... Evidently you are doing a lot of highway driving?

My GMC was running around 3,500 to 4,000 miles between reset and when it came on again. I generally do a lot of stop and go type driving. I used to cannge the oil based on 3,000 miles, but engine hours (the light) is a better guage. Now that I'm running Amsoil I will change my filter (wix) when the light comes on.

4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Yeah I already switched over to Amsoil, but seems the oil in my truck doesn't need changing yet so it will be a while. I'll let ya know my thoughts when I switch.

Jason I took a lil trip to West Virginia back in December and the rest has been all stop and go driving, pulling my trailer.

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I just ordered the EaO filters from Amsoil and on my next change they will be used as well as the 10w30 fully synthetic.

The filters are supposed to be rated at 25k miles.

I hope it will make a difference...

6. South Florida Lawns

from usa

what truck will you put those filters on?

7. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Recently, I used Amsoil's 15w-40 HD Diesel and Marine oil with an EaO filter on an 01' 7.3 Powerstroke. Ran it in there for about 12k, which was the total mileage after a year, and had a UOA taken of the oil and it came back as normal. Also most of those mile's consisted of "severe service" miles, being that the regular to commute to work for that vehicle is only an 8 mile round trip. It get's fully warm in that time, but short trip's are still hard on anything. The biggest reason I changed to it though was cold starts, it's great to hear the OP come up within a few second. Even when it's been sitting for the whole day and it's dead cold.

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am using them on my 2 Jeeps.

Mine is a 2004 Liberty and my wifes is a 2002 Grand Cherokee.

9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I go about 7K with my Diesels.

10. churlchurl

churlchurl LawnSite Member

Hey 02 durama have you had to replace your injectors yet. I had to replace my water pump, glow plugs, a solenoid got stuck in my tranny, and injectors around that mileage of 107,000. I now have a coolant leak from somewhere that is very slow and will not get worse, which is good