When should I lime my l soil for reseeding tall fescue in Atl, GA?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I know I need airation and reseeding but I also need to get my soil right. My tall fescue sod didn't do too well this summer. Lot's of dead grass from heat and disease. This is my first year doing this. Any suggestions for this fall renovation?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Shawn, how do you know if your soil needs lime? Have a soil test done to be sure. Lime contains calcium, which should be listed as a major nutrient same as Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. Somehow it is often overlooked. If your soil needs lime it is best to apply it in split applications same as you would fertilizer. Lime only has the capacity to nutralize a 1/8 in radius around each granual of lime and is slow to translocate thru the soil. For this reason, simply dumping large amounts of lime on top of the soil doesnt work as well as appling a little at a time until you balance your soil ph. Apply lime twice a year, 6 months apart is better than applying all the needed lime at one time. Appling lime in the late fall and early spring are usually considered the best time because of the amount of rain fall these times of year. The rain helps the lime translocate down thru the soil.

3. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I used one of those probe soil testers previously.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have never had much convidence in those probes. Some people swear by them and and some swear at them. LOL. When taking a sample be sure to use a clean tool for taking the soil slice. A dirty shovel can and will contamidate the sample resulting in a false test result.

5. br1dge

br1dge LawnSite Member

I would suggest aerating before liming, helps down at the root level where it matters.

6. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Those soil probe testers are crapola. I used one of those and it said my soil's PH was around 6.5, which is perfect. The next year(This year) I took soil samples to my local Dept. of Agriculture office and they said I needed lime, and lots of it. I took 3 samples from different areas(both sides, front) and it turned out the ph on my right side was 5.7, front was 5.1, and left side was 4.2. I put down some lime right after I got the results(late June) and have noticed some improvement. This weekend I'm going to have my lawn aerated and am going to put more lime down so it gets deeper into the soil.