1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When should I put out my fliers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TCO, Dec 10, 2001.

1. TCO

TCO LawnSite Member

Hello all!

This is my first season, and I'm really enjoying it!
    I only have ten accounts,but I'm gaining experience and short cuts. I will try to double my business this year,and I would like to add different services,such as fertilizing, hauling, light landscaping.This is not my main source of income,I needed a little
    extra income,and did not want to work for anybody. This is perfect for me,I am glad to have found this sight!
    Anyway, back to my original question, when should I start handing out my fliers? Would March be to early? I live in Michigan.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I place my fliers according to the season. You could put out flyers for winterizing, in a month or so a flyer for crabgras pre-m, then one for mowing, and so on. The more they see your name the better, I have fliers for most every occassion. If you don't already have MS Publisher get it, $100 or so and it will make very professional fliers. Also see the link I posted about Lesco fliers.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The above is how I do it also. I have fliers for different types of services and time of year. Get your name out often. Nothing wrong with experimenting during the winter. Who knows, you might find some biz during the winter months.
  4. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Same as above here again. I go by the season. As far as mowing, I start putting flyers out late Febuary here in Indiana.
  5. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i have handed out nearly every part of the season. and for the amount of walking, printing expense and sore feet, i have found that the ultimate best time is in august and september.
    that is when the season is nearly over, the clients are pissed at their present lawn care companies because of the skid marks, missed cuts, leaking behind the bushes, not showing up, leaving clots of grass on the lawn, ect.
    but handing out fliers is only a small part of the equasion, the flier has got to be impressive, and informative, or it goes straight to the trash can.
  6. TCO

TCO LawnSite Member

Hey Thanks for the qiuk response!
    I really like this site!