1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When should i start advertising? (HELP)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kmaceri89, Dec 6, 2007.

1. kmaceri89

kmaceri89 LawnSite Member

I am wondering when it is a good time to advertise. I currently have a bunch of neighborhoods being built around my area and I want to get to the word out about my lawn care service but im thinking whether if it would be to late. I offer packages monthly so maybe i can start now with blowing leaves and cutting bushes or miscellaneous stuff. What do you guys think?

2. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Advertise every time you can. It's never to late to get your name out there.
  3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

What type of advertising are you going to do? There's never a bad time to get your name and number out there IMO. I do specialty fliers according to the season we're moving into. ie Aeration and leaf cleanup fliers just prior to fall, mowing and spring cleanup fliers end of February. Even if they call for a specific one time service (which we offer) I usually hook them as a regular account. I've found that many times people might hang on to those fliers for a long time till they decide they need your service. All my fliers offer the basic regular service. Good luck!
  4. kmaceri89

kmaceri89 LawnSite Member

yea i offer basic service and you can choose your own plan with out signing a contract because people hate contracts. But off months are one cut a month, blow leaves, trim bushes, etc...
    Should i do fliers or business cards on the mailboxes
  5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I use business card magnets and ink pens with a logo. I use the logo in a newspaper ad also. I got several calls in the spring off the ad but none in summer and fall. I go door to door and give em a pen and magnet or two regardless of whether they use me or not. Thats what I would do in the new neighborhoods. Its tough and you wont get many takers. After you do get one in a neighborhood, just do a good job and eventually they start walking up to you and asking for service.
  6. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

we use news paper add and business cards just started a add in the phone book and flyers
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Never stop advertising. I started slacking off on advertising a bit and my sales paid for it. So I am back to more advertising and plan and not slacking off again.
  8. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I agree I always remember this BMW ad "something terrible happens when you don't advertise , NOTHING!" except referrals