1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

when should i start getting contracts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jakegrass87, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jakegrass87

jakegrass87 LawnSite Member

Im 20 years old and i am looking at starting a lawn care businesss in my area. I am currently getting my liscense, loan, and name situated i do not have them ready yet but i am looking at having them all by febuary 7. And all the equipment by feb 15. There is no known company in my area just a few high school guys here and there. I live in one of the top ten fastest growing cities in the us. I have lived here 2 and a half years and it has doubled in size. This is why i feel it is important to start right away. Because it is still considered a small town. I would like to have 20 contracts by April 1, if i start advertising by feb 7 do u think that will be enough time for me to get 20.
  2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Do all that and start talking to everyone you know and meet relentlessly.

Someone will know someone and things will get going for you.

Best wishes, and stick with it.

3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, gotta get your name out there. Their will be ups and downs, but don't get discouraged. It takes time. Just stick with it. What equipment are you planning on buying?
  4. jakegrass87

A trailor $500 used
    truck $2000
    blower $120
    push mower $200
    edger $150
    weed wacker2 $300
    riding mower $600 used

IS there anything i am missing?
  5. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

riding mower: concern, what type of mower is this? will it be commercial? or a "homeowner" ride on?
  6. jakegrass87

commercial they get the job done in half the time. But i can tell by your concern that it is going to be more then $600. Am i right
  7. jakegrass87

also i need a aerater 100-200 bucks
  8. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

just get the main things you need first. you can always rent an aerator. put the money towards the ma suff and don't go real cheap cause you get what you pay for

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Your right about the area you live in, it is a prime market area especially with Park City, Deer Valley and Midway right around the corner from you. I'm always amazed to see the amount of new growth every-time I pass through Heber, I expect that area to become the next Park City.

I would think you should have no problem picking up 20 clients in your area. You might also consider servicing the Park City or Midway areas one or two days a week as those areas are full of wealthy people, I'm actually considering sending a crew to Park City myself this season.

If your interested I have some marketing material that has work well for us in the past, also I might be able help you with any questions on getting licensed in the State of UT. , insurance, equipment, etc.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You do not need an aerator....focus on the NEEDS first for equipment. It seems like you are planning to really get into this and grow quickly so you need to be prepared with QUALITY equipment that will handle it. That means commercial everything. Don't skimp out on a truck either. Apperance plays a very large part and if the truck goes down, you're kinda stuck! Go for a nice used/new commercial 36-48 inch wb, commercial trimmer and blower first! That'll get you set up doing lawn mowing and maintenance to start. An aerator can be easily rented from any rental store and depending on the time of year, there is usually always one available.

So, nice truck, trailer, comm. mower, blower and trimmer should be FIRST and should be looked at very closely for reliablity and quality. Like an above poster said, you get what you paid for. And just so you know up front, those home depot and Lowes ZTR mower that say "cut just like the pros" on them, is a bunch of BULL!

good luck, it sounds like you have a great location to really start and grow fast. Quality talks, so don't take on so many customers that your customer service and job quality starts to drop, It takes a lifetime to build up a good reputation, but it takes a very short time to have a lasting bad impression on people!