when should preemergent be applied?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wowmowwow, Jan 8, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

spring is around the corner and i wont to get a head start on killing the unwanted stuff. i have a nice thick fescue yard with little clover. and i shop at LTD/southern states, fyi.

2. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

My teacher at school burned it into our heads.....when the Forsythia are blooming put down pre-emergent.
    VO

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

When forsythia are blooming is a good tip.
    However get it down before the blooms start to fall off.
    The forsythia are telling you the soil temperature is around 50 degrees.Thats when seed starts to germinate.
    Use "dimension" to get some post-crab control if timing is late.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In the South where we do not typically have frozen soil, preemergent can be applied at virtually any time of year.

Regardless of when you apply, the biggest factor is understanding the length of control needed. You could apply enough preemergent to cover an entire season, or you can make two applications at a reduced rate. This depends on what type of preemergent you use, as each has different rate requirements.

Take Barricade for example on Fescue. You want the preemergent to wear down by August, as you typically will overseed in the early Fall. You can apply about 1-1.25 lbs AI per acre now, and that will cover you nicely. You could also do two applications, now and April at 0.5 lbs AI/acre.

The biggest mistake made by applicators with preemergent is determining the actual rate of product per thousand square feet. You have to know the actual AI of the product you are applying to determine that. Barricade is normally sold in AI amounts such as 0.25% and 0.37% for example. Each of these would have a different rate when applying.

5. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Always good advice from TurfUnlimited!

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What would you recommend here in the Midwest though. This weather is crazy the last couple years & it seems like there are more weeds than there have been in the past. It always seems like it jumps from 30* to 60* overnight. I was thinking about going out early to mid-February this year to see if I could beat the heat, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. I am also thinking about doing the 1-step pre-emergent instead of 2. Do they work about the same, just 1 less step?

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't understand what you are writing here .

The lable states the rate in ounces of material per 1K sq ft .
    Are you stating something different ??

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps Lesco does a good job with the labels.

But where I purchase Barricade the label on the bag does not provide different app rates, only maximum amounts. My point was that the labels do not often provide different rates based on the length of control you need.

Too often preemergents are under-applied and then the applicator is disappointed in the results.

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

It has been awhile since I have read a Bassicade lable , however , all other lables state at least 2 levels of control .

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld5JC002.pdf
    Here's a Barricade lable , hope it opens up

10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

ariz, turfunlimited is talking about granular.