When should we be getting busy again?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by recycledsole, Feb 17, 2013.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hello guys,
    I havent done any snow removal, just odds and ends, resting. Wondering when I should expect to start getting busy again. Landscape maintenance and lawn maintenance. In zone 7b. thank you and good luck for everyone this season!

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I was starting out in Zone 7... This first thing I do I blow the lawn in detail after the snow is gone and over seed the spots that need it... I'm in Zone 5 and I may get started as early as March 1st or as late as April 1st...

If overseeding is necessary, then getting it down b4 the ground thaws and the temp stay permenantly above 32 degrees, is important... Upsell your services, every chance you get...

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im ready, eating ramen noodles is getting old LOL

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Today was officially the first day of our regular mowing season. When I got done running my route, I went to my brother's to meet up with him so that we could go handle a pre-emergent job together that was a couple towns over. While I was unloading my truck at his house, a guy walking down the street stopped and asked us for an estimate. This may be a sign that it's about to get busy real soon. First day of the mowing season, and we're putting in 10 hours plus an estimate.

5. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on timing of the rain, I'll be going out tomorrow to spread about 500 pounds of fert/pre-emergent at one property. We're still about 6 weeks away from serious mowing other than fescue lawns here.

6. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

LOL...i hear that. Here in texas, the weather is starting to cooperate...hopefully we will see some rain too. Its been bone dry here for the last two years with serious water restrictions. I hope to start getting calls to mow weeds in the next few weeks. Some of the lawns are starting to show the green weeds in the dormant grass because they dont want the other services. So...those yards tend to be my first customers of the year and tend to start in late feb early march (depending on the daily temp averages).

7. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

I think I am behind already but full speed should be here in a couple of weeks.

8. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Applying pre-emergent, pruning Crepe Myrtles and shrubs are keeping me somewhat busy right now. The lawn mowing not for about 6 more weeks I think.

9. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in zone 6. Praying for an early spring! Although they are calling for snow this weekend. Hopefully it will be all rain. I'm on that rain/snow borderline.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

dang now i'm getting hungry. hard to beat a 15 cent meal. :laugh: