When sprinklers were sprinklers (and trenches were dug by hand)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

For your edification, an example of a Buckner 1310R full-circle rotor head. No gears. Water goes through the angled slots, and moves a free-floating brass cylinder in a circle, which contacts a brass plate, to which the nozzles are connected. Where the plates contact each other, is a sort of hill and valley pattern, which gives the head its 'cam drive' name. Same sort of 'controlled friction' bearing washers that impact heads used. The inlet is 3/4 inch, and the optional screen keeps sand from causing trouble. The speed is adjustable by moving a threaded plug to cover/uncover a bypass port. Dual opposing nozzles provide distance and close-in coverage, with the slotted nozzle fanning some water straight up, to fall near the head. This deluxe, rubber-covered model pops the nozzles up only a fraction of an inch above the rim. It stands all of four-and-half inches tall. The standard 1300 series heads didn't have the upper canister, and sprayed from a central spindle that popped up less than an inch. The standard heads stood about three inches tall. This particular specimen could spray almost forty feet at thirty psi, if equipped with the larger (3/16") of the two distance nozzles. Stainless steel machine screws could be removed, and the guts of the head puled out from above.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Your dating yourself now boots :laugh:

Thats a cool relic. Thanks for the pictures. I might run into one someday, but its hard to find a system older than 25 or so years up here.

However, even in the days of the Buckner brass heads, not all trenches were dug by hand:

[​IMG]

Ed Malzan operating his original Trencher invention in 1949.

You may now know him as the original founder of DitchWitch.

Here is a early '50's era Trencher:

[​IMG]

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I found some of those old Buckners a few years back. It was on an all copper irrigation system as well.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You can still find them here from time to time. After all, we're quite close to Fresno, their birthplace. Fortunately they and their older cousins have all been removed from our sites as of about ten years ago. :)

5. PurpHaze

Here's another oldie but goodie. :)

Old Buckner Rocking Impact Sprinkler IV-01.jpg

6. Grassmechanic

Used those on the GC, before we went and automated everything. I kinda miss being the night time watering man.:)

7. PurpHaze

These are the last in our district and this high school loves them. I didn't post the first picture I took with the water coming almost at me. I forgot that these rotate left and got the inside of my truck soaked. :laugh:

8. Grassmechanic

I wouldn't get rid of those, either. They work great. BTW, speaking of old sprinklers, I ran into an old Royal Coach head in my garage while rummaging though some old RB brass valves.

9. PurpHaze

We used to have a collection of various types of field sprinklers such as Buckner, Royal Coach, Rain-o-Mat, etc. in the ground at various sites. Beginning around 1991 we started a comprehensive upgrade of field systems by replacing them all with Toro 640s and putting them all on swing joints instead of the galvanized risers they were on. Of course since then we've gone to Hunter I-40s in our fields but at least anything we replace is on a swing joint and much easier to raise and/or replace.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

These rocker-jets are also cool because they rotate in either direction on the part-circle units. There is no reversing cycle.