when striping, does it matter??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Jul 22, 2004.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I have a Honda Harmony 215 SX push mower and just bought a rolling striper for it. I also just bought a new set of mulching blades for it. When I bought the blades I saw that they had mulchinh blades and bagging blades. Does it matter which blade/s I use when I go to stripe my lawn?? Thank you :)

2. BryPaulD

from MI

*striping roller* :eek:

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

With the roller it should not matter. But i have found the lowest lift gave the best stripe.
    John

summer pics.jpg

4. BryPaulD

from MI

those are very nice ones John. Well defined. What do you mean by lowest lift?

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

That's really interesting. Is it because the draught from high lift blades pulls the grass up?

6. John Gamba

from ct

I think so! BUT i have heard that the meg-mo blades have given a better stripe on other mowers, members have said and they are very high lift. try different combos and see what works best for you.

John

7. John Gamba

from ct

A bagging blades will be a high lift and a mulching blade will be a low lift or they make a low lift blade if you look in the catalogs.

I think i got a great stripe with the rapter blades. they are a mulching blade that you can side discharge with.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

How could Low Lift Blades possibly work Better...In order to Stripe the Grass it must be Lifted before it is Pushed Down! You Need High Lift Blades which is why Meg-mos and doubles produce the best Stripes....

9. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I honestly think that blades contribute very little to the striping

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I can definately tell a difference between the standard JD highlifts and the meg Mo blades. Meg Mos give me the best stripes with the 7 iron deck. I'm sure the type of deck has lots to do with it.