when the seed doesnt grow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 20, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, u do some seeding, spend xx amount of money on seed, starter fert, and u dont have the results that u wanted, maybe an early frost, customer doesnt water, etc. now, my rule is always get paid for seeding, and leaf cleanups on the spot because these r two areas where "anything can happen". but, once in a while for a steady customer u just add it to their monthly invioce. so, what happens when they say say, "u charged me $120 for powerseeding, and starter fert, and it really didnt come in that good, i dont want to pay this bill." this is y i always (almost always) get paid for seeding on the spot. so, what do u do? take it off the bill? demand payment? this is one of the highest risk services to provide, afterall, if they didnt water their lawn to begin with, and thats y its in need of seeding, what makes u think they will water the newly seeded lawn? and when u tell them its cus they didnt water, they look at u like u r trying to b.s them.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

dont think there is much you can do about it, in your contract anywhere do you have that you dont guarantee services or anything like that? i guess its just one of the risks of the business????
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Unless it is irrigated, and you KNOW they are running it properly, (like having you control it) there is NO growth guarantee offered.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

when I provide that service, it is with the understanding that "grass grows by the grace of GOD" and once I spread the seed I am due payment.

if they water or not or if GOD sees fit to make it barren, I'm out of it!

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I get paid for seeding the day I do it. No $$, no seed.
  6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Does this mean you require payment prior to doing the job?
    If not and you just accept payment at the end of the day and they decide to tell you that they want to see how well it comes in, and that in fact you put down freash seed and not soemthing you had laying around for a few years, what do you do?
    It must be a real B*TCH picking each one of those seeds back up after a long day of reno's ... :rolleyes:

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

There are a ton of variables here.

Possible problems:

Lack of moisture
    Birds ate it if it was not covered
    Too cold for germination
    Mower sucked it up and destroyed it
    TGCL sprayed Trimec all over it

Depending on who the customer is, you may offer to reseed it if the seed is gone or damaged. If it is a moisture or weather problem, they may have to just wait until the spring.

In a way, you should not be responsible, so long as you explained the results part.

I did several seedings this fall, and 2 out of 10 had little or no results. I happens. Don't get discouraged.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I always make it clear by saying.. "I can't promise you anything.. It's up to Mother Nature." Why? Because there is no irrigation here! I have always mailed a bill after the work is done and trust that I'll get paid.. until I'm faced with your problem I guess.

If the results were pisspoor.. like zero germination I may offer a % off or tell 'em I'll do it again.

Do you know why you had poor results? When did you seed? The northeast has had an aweful lot of rain this fall. I did a lot of seeding and the results have been very good. Thank God!

Is this the same customer that thought seeding was part of the yearly maintenance package?
  9. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Just saw a customer that I did some clearing for and also put down some loam and seeded and put down starter fert. He said nothing had grown. This makes me mad because I put down scotts shady mix( shaded area ) and nothing happened. He said that they watered alot andf still nothing.:confused: I told him that I would reseed it next spring - I'm not using Scotts again this is the second time this has happened with a scotts product.
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I too had a new install that the customer is not happy with...we've had 12 inches of rain the past 2 months...too much rain is as bad as not enough...I have decided I am not going to do anymore new lawn installs....even if theres a "no guarantee" in your contract, people still expect it to grow...they dont realize that most of the labor cost is preparing the soil...of all the different services I offer, this one seems to be the one where I get the most hassles.....its just not worth the call backs and with our weather so screwed up .