1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When the US sneezes we catch a cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are feeling a slow down in the work/economy now its starting here :nono:

Talking with some of the truck drivers I know from work are saying it is getting bad. One of the trucking companies that has been in the business since the 50s said they never seen it this bad even during the 80s recession.

The paving company has laid their crew off there is no work. Most gravel trucks are parked maybe working once a week. Its not from the weather we can work 365 days a year there is no winter slow down because of snow we don't get much snow. Excavation contractors are probably just making equipment payments.

It seems like everybody has decided to cut back on spending money. Glad I have a guaranteed job it looks like 2008 will be a rough year for most. Many people are worried it will be the 80s all over again.

You guys quit sneezing over on the otherside of the boarder your giving us the sniffles :laugh:

The money that was flowing around the area like cheap wine has turned into little money being spent sipping on the cheap wine.

To sum it up who ever says the our US neighbours economy doesn't affect Canada's is full of crap. We are seeing it already in the resource based communities that supply materials to the US.

2. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Who can the U.S. blame for the worlds problems:dizzy::dizzy:

3. there is no problems, haven't you been reading some of the threads on here everything is all hunky dory.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If you hold on to one opinion long enough, you are bound to be right at least once in your lifetime.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we're the slowest we've ever been...we are starting a new division of the company, an environmental side where we will go dig out contaminated soil at old gas stations. Requires all kinds of different insurance and OSHA training but its where the money is right now

one of the largest site contractors/road builders in my area just sold off 45 pieces of equipment to cover their overhead this year...so even the big guys are feeling the hurt.

6. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to jinx myself but everyone is saying slow and we are as busy as I can ever remember for this time of year. And the jobs seem to keep coming! Usually we have nothing to do this time of year and scrounge for work. This year the only thing keeping us from working spring hours is bad weather.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I just talked with an old buddy of mine in California....Los Angeles area. He is booked solid, can't keep up with the work, and is buying new equipment and hiring to meet his demand.....he is doing commercial/industrial work, 25,000-100,000 sq. ft. building pads and site prep. On the other hand.....residential went slip-slidin'-away some time ago.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Alot I think depends where you live. I am in a rural area - famers are buying land for $8800 an acre where 1 year ago it was around $5k. JD dealership here in town has never sold som many machines that most of there of sales won't be shipped till mid summer to late fall due to the production on deere. I have been doing well - bought 2 new trucks and a new skid. There may be some slow down due to residental doing themselves - going to menards, lowes, depot - but that is my area i guess.

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

GR, you ought to spend some time here in "cow town", we are booming here, hell, even our truck is busy, gravel trucks whipping up and down the roads and none of them are driven by the "others".

We could use another "the sky is falling" type person here.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Are you not in a new Ethenol based economy now?