when they come crawling back....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 15, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

have a client i'm going to see. we serviced them 3 yrs ago, and they cancelled. not because of work quality, but cus we were inconsistant. that other job had my hands tied and i just couldn't make it every week. well, they called back. they said they been through a few services since losing us, the property went to hell, are very unhappy, and would i please take them back. here's the thing. i always read here that when this happens you should jack up the price. i think the motivation behind this practice is revenge. personally i charged a very high price back then, and am very happy to re sign them at the same price. the only increases will be the initial labor involved in getting the place back in shape ex: heavy trimming, weeding, etc. other than that i will bow my head, thank them for having us back, and provide a good service at the same prices i used to. my fees were "premium" back then, and 3 yrs later i can still do it at those rates. how many of you would take advantage and raise the rates?

2. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Bobby, you said that the reason that they stopped using your service was due to your own inconsistancy, I'd just give them the same price and show them that you have become more reliable for about six months ... then jack'em up.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would raise the rates some and take them back, should be easy with gas prices and inflation

4. dunno but were i could from most people dont rehire somebody unreliable in the past ...could be different in new jersey though

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'd keep them at the same price... but let them know you will embarrass them on LawnSite if they cancel again...

6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think an alien killed bobby and took over his lawnsite account

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Raise the price a bit as it is technically a "new" account and will require some more attention then before....IMO anyway.

8. Simplyhere

Simplyhere LawnSite Member

You're a softie Bob...but I'd do the same - since it's obvious you recognize you're WERE inconsistent back then.

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I would thank them for allowing you a second chance to prove that you are now more reliable. I would then bid the property just like a new customer, without regard to the past. No need to jack them up unless your current bidding process dictates it.

10. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I would say something like "We can come back here but its gonna cost you" Then hold out the palm of your hand like your waiting for a tip.

Seriously if you are comfortable with the price i say keep that price.