When To Advertise Your Services

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RPM1, Nov 27, 2006.

1. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

I was wondering when is the best time of the year to start going after new accounts whether it is residential or commercial ? And also what type of advertising have you found that works best besides word of mouth( i am new to this word of mouth not going to help this year) i am open to all suggestions.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the forums.

If you would do a search for advertising, you would probably find alot of pages on it. Since your in Ohio, Id say the best time is early spring. The best way to advertise by far is to pass out 1000's of flyers. The advertise in the local paper.

This should get you started. Oh DO NOT put any kind of pricing on your flyers.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

to be honest year round is the best time, sometimes are better than others like early spring and late fall, but i tried to spread business year round. Its very overwhelming trying to get 10,000 flyers out, trust me.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

First of all do you have all the equipment and experience to go after commercial accounts? they are larger and have lots of shrubs and other things that need to be done in a professional manner? Do you have uniforms and lettering for your trucks? If you do then this is how to go about getting more accounts, put together an information packet ( busn. card, letter of intro about your busn. , flyer ect. ) start sending this packet out to busn. every quarter. Businesses do not like to receive door hangers and most do not want to be bothered when there open. Direct mail is the best way to go after commercial accounts from my experience. Keep your name in front of them all the time and eventually they will call you. Your local paper is another good way to get new customers run an ad in spring for new lawn care customers and mid summer for shrubs and again in fall for cleanups. Yellow pages is another good cost effective way to gain customers, you don't have to have the biggest add and shouldn't if your just starting out. You just need to have a decent size add to list the services that you provide.