1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to advertise?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CTJ, Nov 24, 2007.

1. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

When to advertise?

When should I start advertising for next season? I plan on doing a few mailings two weeks apart. I just don’t know when I should start the first one.

I’m just starting up. This will be my first season. I have no customers right now.
  2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Start talkng to everyon you speak to right now. I just finished m first year and word of mouth got me more business then an advertising I have done yet. I love to talk and just work into a conversation that I own a Lawn service. Mailers got me a couple of accounts, I'm going to send more out in late Feb early March for an April 1st starting date.
  3. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

I've been talking and passing out biz cards a lot. Put an ad in a local paper for leaf cleanup two weeks ago and got four calls, got two jobs. One of them showed an interest in signing up for next season.
  4. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

word of mouth and pass out buisness cards to Everyone !, run ads in the local paper year round, and send flyers out beginning early march. Never to early or to late to advertise
  5. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

I bought an ad in a small local free paper. 125 bucks for 5 weeks. Paper is mailed to every household in my area. Shows up on FRidays. last friday was the third week. I've gotten 4 calls. I guess its not to bad.

I'm going to do mailings to three zip codes in my area. About 12,000 addresses. First one in march?
  6. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

i put up buisness cards every where i can and hand a lot out to got a add to in the paper runs 78 bucks a mouth to just about the hole county gets the paper gonna do flyers next year
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Every job you finish is your best advertisement. If the job is of the quality potential customers want, they will find you out. The result of your day-to-day work is the best brochure you can create.

In other words, you have been advertising with your recent work. Was the advertisement good, or not good?
  8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

here in cal. its always time to advertise. it slows a little in dec. but besides that its year around for us .. word of mouth is the best and cheapest..we do other advertiseing as well. but word of mouth by far............
  9. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I start advertising a month before the break of the season for about 3 months in local listings and flyers, Craigs list year-round, and again the last month of the season for 2 months.
  10. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

yellow page ads always worked for me.....