When to Advertise?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dwight1moore, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dwight1moore

dwight1moore LawnSite Member

I did ok in my first year. I managed to maintain 17 yards on a regular basis but now i wanna double that in 2010. I'm always advertising but when would you guys say primetime is. I'm gonna say mowing begins about mid to late march here in my area. I have heard some say the first of the year is when they start but i dont wanna go out and waste flyers, business cards, etc. now and then the people forget about me 3 months down the road. BUT if i wait closer to mowing time i could be to late and the people already have someone else. What is yall guys suggestions?

2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I say watch the big box stores. They spend millions to target the right product at the right time. When they start pushing out doors you start the same

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Prime time is about the date of the grass greenup, about April 15 in Michigan. The first mowing is about a week or two after that.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

about a month b4 the season starts

5. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I stay in the eye. Advertise all year. When you suddenly pop up in the spring- you look just like all the people that sat at home deciding to start a "lawn care company."

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, so OP for you, around Valentines Day.
    Also agree - keep your name in front of people at all times in the offseason using whatever method of marketing suits you.

7. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I plan to start within a week hammering the town with flyers.

8. dwight1moore

dwight1moore LawnSite Member

sounds good guys, thanks for the input

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I'd advertise alll year to keep your name at the front of folks minds then kick it up a notch a few weeks before busy season.

10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to keep my name out there year around, but I wait to do any flyers until mid-March. With so many people doing lawncare now and pushing hard in the Spring, I actually have picked up more new customers in June than in the Spring. It works out good, the scrubs do the hard work during the heavy growth and rainy season and then they give up after a couple months and I am there to pick up the pieces. Then it is smooth sailing until fall.