when to advertise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hgotti, Feb 24, 2005.

1. hgotti

hgotti LawnSite Member

I live in ct and i was wondering when i should start putting out flyers and puting advertising in local papers

thanks for your help

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

all year round, dont ever stop

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

middle of March is a good time

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

every day the sun comes up is another chance to promote your business.

I once saw a picture in high school that I always remember. it had a saying along the lines of...

"you can bet that if you are sitting around resting, your competition is not"

I am sure I don't have that word for word, but the point is you are either one step ahead, or two steps behind. get out there with different stuff all year long. always try to stand out. this time of year, people will get tons of LCO flyers, so ask yourself, will yours stand out, or will it go on the "stack" to be thrown away.

I'd say depending on your area, early march is a good time to start though.

Good luck this year!

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday. Meaning you should have already started. Get a jump on the competition. You may not get many calls right away, but they may keep your flyer. Some may want to get that handled now, instead of waiting.

6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I found this in another forum. It is a quote from Phil Nilsson and his 27 most common mistakes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Advertising only a few months then deciding it's not worth the cost. Most businesses need a year or more of well-placed, well-thought out advertising before substantial results can be seen. Plus ... it needs to be seen or heard 7 times to be remembered at all and to "register".

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of truth in that statement.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yup. ADVERTISE, Advertise, advertise. I use the year round plan.

Just pick different thing to advertise in the different seasons.