When to Aerate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Tombigbee, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Tombigbee

Tombigbee LawnSite Member

I have been listening to all the Lawn Care Professionals in my area and they all have a difference of opinion when to aerate....I sure would love some advice....Thanks!
  2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

in my area we do it in the fall. Its not recomended in the late spring or summer cause it causes alot of dtress to the truf.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Any time the turf grass is actively growing is a good time..........
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Type of grass dictates the best time of the year to aerate. Spring time for wam season grasses and Fall for cool season types is what I typically have heard and abided by.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if water is not an issue you can aerate all season long if you want (think golf courses).

otherwise you can get away with it in the early spring and early fall if you cannot keep it watered.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

What type of grass is it? warm or cool?
  7. Ecobjs

Ecobjs LawnSite Member

We like to arerate in spring, just before growth starts to take over for Bermuda and Zoysia. For fescue in the fall when we reseed.
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn-Scapes gave the correct answer. If the turf is actively growing then it is fine to aerate. I have no doubt Rod that you know when to aerate but in my area for instance. Spring would be a bad time for warm season grass. Summer is best for warm season grass in my area because it doesn't become very active until early June (I'm in the transition Zone, so we have both types). Just want to clarify this for the newbies :).

Basically if a customer wants it done then anytime the turf is active will be beneficial. The best time would be toward the end of season, such as fall for cool season grass's when the root development is most active. Then again the absolute best would be twice a year, so spring and fall would be ideal for cool season grass. Warm season grass is harder to determine because it is more Zone related. Take a cool season grass, and aerate now and hit it with a dose of good fertilizer and watch it pop. Wait until Fall and the real benefit doesn't show until the following spring.

There are more determining factors (when is best), such as turf condition. But you can't go wrong with Lawn-Scapes advice and do it when the turf is active.
  9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Problem with aerating in the spring is that it give weed seeds such as dandilions a place to go. we try to do it in the fall if possible.
  10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the any time the grass is actively growing group. One other consideration I give is whether there will be a grub control application. Since excess thatch is a major cause of grub control failure, I reccomend aerating in the spring for lawns receiving this application and having a thatch problem.