1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When To Aerate???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CuttinUP, Feb 22, 2006.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me when it is the best time of the year to aerate a lawn? If the ground is not frozen, can I do it at the end of Feb or the 1st of March? Second, what order would you guys recommend doing aerate, seed, fert? I was thinking that it would probably be best to fert first, then go back maybe a week later and aerate and then seed. Thanks for all feedback!!
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Down here if you're reseeding with fescue, the only real cost efficient time to reseed is September to mid-October. As for aerating, really you can aerate any time of year and it will be beneficial. When I reseed a yard, I aerate, fertilize, and reseed all at once.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

aeration is best to do in the fall but this year is different for my aera. due to the drought last year i have alot of aeation and seeding jobs that i'll be doing in march through april.
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You can aerate any time the ground is not frozen or too dry, but I think early fall is best for both seeding and aeration. but sometime you just cant wait untill fall!
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

only problem with aerating in the spring is that you open the ground up to week infestation
  6. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

If you do it early enough the seed can get established enough to withstand
    weed control.Or let client know weeds will have to be controlled later...
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

8. indyturf

from Indy

thats what I tell my customers too! I try to do as much as possible in the fall
  9. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Not sure what this means? Can someone explain?
  10. indyturf

from Indy

any time you can see soil through the turf you give the weed seeds a chance to germinate!