When to aggressively advertise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eddings, Jan 31, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

When would you advertise for residential customers? I have never adv. before. I would think that most residential customers don't think of mowing till it needs to be mowed. Should I go out and advertise now or later?
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Although what you just stated is correct there is never a bad time to advertise. What many people fail to recognize is that if you wait until the potential customer is ready you often are to late. One of the key factors to effective advertising is to keep your name in front of them. If you are just another flyer among a group of other flyers then you stand only a percentage of a chance that you will get called. For instance, if someone is ready and they have received 10 flyers that week then your chances of getting the call is around 10% (unless you have done something to make yours stand out). If you have done something to put your name in front of that potential customer prior to that occasion, then you have increased your chances that you will be the one that they pick. It takes several times for someone to remember your name. If they are familiar with you then there is a higher probability that they will pick you. If you offer what they are looking for. Sorry so long.
  3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I usually start here about March 1. Then a second round about April 1 just as the grass is starting to green and grow.
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Another question would be is that all you intend on advertising is mowing? There is much work that can be done before you even start up the mower. Also, you need to consider your advertising budget. How much are you looking to spend this year in advertising? You could do Newbomb suggested, then again in the middle of summer, and then in early fall to get some fall clean ups. It really depends on you, your budget, your services, and what you are trying to accomplish.
  5. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for yearly contracts then you want to advertise like yesterday. This is the time of year when most contracts are about to end and if they haven't already. Im hitting the ground around the first week in Feb, first of Mar, and then first of April. This gets them used to seeing my postcard and hopefully gets my phone ringing.

I'll let you know how it works toward the middle of the season.

Hope this helps,
    Corrie A.
  6. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

I just started my business last spring and the best medium for advertising for me to residential customers in my area was 18x24" signs I stuck in the ground at four way stops around early to mid April. With two signs at busy intersections I was able to get about 15-20 accounts within a month, and it was very inexpensive, but check city codes to make sure this is ok to do.
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Although you should advertise all the time in 1 way or another. Start hitting it hard about 4 weeks before you start mowing.

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to remember is to advertise when you are busy. If you do, you'll always be busy.