1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to apply spring fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Daner, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

When is the best time to put down spring fertilizer 18-4-18...ITS 4o degrees here now...is it to cool??
  2. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

In South Ga. we apply after greenup.
  3. Daner

Thanks B&B...Ithink its too early here...Had a customer that wants it done now...some of the grasses are still laying down and a bit brown...I,m gona hold of till mid april
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Nitrogen is available for plants to use when temperatures are around 50 degrees.
  5. lawnaggie

lawnaggie LawnSite Member
    from 17013

Daner, you could probably put down a granular fert. with a slow release N in a week or so. We started here in Pa a couple of weeks back during the warm spell.
  6. Daner

yes it is a granular fertilizer18-4-18 that i use...I HAVE A 3 ACRE LOT THAT WAS NOT FERTILIZED IN THE FALL...AND IT COULD USE A BOOST
    and yes this fert. is slow release...so mabey I,m ok to put it down now??
    I don,t think it can hurt it
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

nah, I dont think it will hurt, shoot, TGCL is out around here applying and our night temps are high teens to mid twenties and the days have been mid to lower 30s. thats not slowing them and their trucks down a bit.
  8. fireshawn

fireshawn LawnSite Member

Soil temps need to be in the mid 70's for most slow release ferts to work. If they are any cooler than that you are just spinning your wheels. I know the customer wants it now, but they pay you to know what to do for thier lawn.
  9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

You should not fertilize a dormant lawn. Enough said.
  10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is greening up now so i did fert last week .