"When to bag?"&"When to mulch?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I've read in the past that you guys like to bag sometimes and mulch sometimes. When do you bag and When do you mulch? And why?

2. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Where I live I bag in the spring and fall and mulch in the summer. The reason I do this is the grass is too heavy or has leaves in it and doesnt look good after I try to mulch it. But around summer time I mulch to add nutrience to the yard soit doesnt get burned out or dry.Just my 2 cents

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Bagging - leaves only (with a place to dump)
    Mulching- never

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Bag,first few cuts of the season,during cleanups,and the last month or so during clean ups.Discharge the rest of the yr,mulching only works good if the grass is dry and not to tall,I just discharge the rest of the time with double blades.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We remove the clippings from the turf areas from April thru the end of May in the springtime. Usually the clippings are wet from the rain season and it is faster to bag then to try to disperse without wind-rows or clumping.

In the fall during November we remove the clippings once again. At this time we are charging extra for Fall Clean-Ups and bagging keeps the lawns looking neat.

Removal of clippings is done in an effort to keep the properties with a meticulous, manicured look only when NECESSARY. By not bagging the lawns we are able to promote a healthier turf environment for our customers, thus greatly reducing the need for chemicals and pesticides.

During those times when we are not bagging the amount of fertilizer used is almost reduced in half depending on the time of year. We reduce fertilizer applications because of the nitrogen content from the break down of the clippings.

Hope this answers your qusetions.
    Kris

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We remove the clippings from the turf areas from April thru the end of May in the springtime. Usually the clippings are wet from the rain season and it is faster to bag then to try to disperse without wind-rows or clumping.

In the fall during November we remove the clippings once again. At this time we are charging extra for Fall Clean-Ups and bagging keeps the lawns looking neat.

Removal of clippings is done in an effort to keep the properties with a meticulous, manicured look only when NECESSARY. By not bagging the lawns we are able to promote a healthier turf environment for our customers, thus greatly reducing the need for chemicals and pesticides.

During those times when we are not bagging the amount of fertilizer used is almost reduced in half depending on the time of year. We reduce fertilizer applications because of the nitrogen content from the break down of the clippings.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Kris

7. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Just like John said, cutting with double blades cuts everything up real fine, most of the time there is no need to bag unless you are in a confined space,like around landscape gardens.

Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch - Always. :)

-TGC

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Bag: Never
    Mulch: Spring and fall to chop up leaves
    Double Blades: All season
    An open OCDC 99% of the time for the rest of the season