When to buy a bigger mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by huskres, Apr 25, 2008.

1. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I have the chance to buy a snapper 32" walk behind for $850 bucks. This is my first year and I just dont know if its to soon or what to buy. I would really prefer a Toro tbar but I cant find any at all. Do you think i should go after this?

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

More info about your current situation and gear would help.

If you're stunting a manual reel mower cutting 20 yards a day, i'll tell you to go for it. If you've got a good mower and small number of yards i'll tell you to hold out for the piece of equipment you really want. If you don't want a snapper, why buy it?

3. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

All I have mower wise is 21" 2 cycle lawnboys. I am also a delivery guy so I cant take to much abuse. Also the toros that usually come up for sale are the single blade 32" which the quality of cut on those sucks!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with that Scag.....it was the first units we bought after using 21" units. These units are pretty solid and I did not see slipping in wet conditions.

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Really? Have one and have a slighty different opinion on the quality of cut.

6. PUDGE

PUDGE LawnSite Member

Where are all you guys finding these mowers for less than a grand. I want to buy a used walk behind to use on gated properties, nothing larger than a 36, but I'm not going to pay 5K for a Scag or Exmark. I'll keep using my little 21 until then.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Have you looked at the Quick brand of mowers? They consistently get great reviews. The Quick 32" or 36" might fit the bill for you.

8. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Depending on the condition of the snapper and how many lawns you have thats how I would make my decision. If your at 20+ lawns a week I think its time to step up to a larger mower.

9. MEB83

MEB83 LawnSite Member

I am located in Tulsa and have a 06 Toro 36 for sale with mulching kit and two wheeled Velke (just starting second mowing season with it. I estimate less than 100 hrs.). I would like to sell it or trade it for a 32 wright stander. Anybody interrested?