When to buy a new dumptruck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by premierlawncare, Oct 1, 2005.

1. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

When to buy a new dumptruck? When is your business big enough to use a dump truck and justify the purchase?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

When you have enough work to cover the payments.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with this. My very first dump truck was a F350 dump. I sold it after the big mulch season and waited a few months before I did anything else. I then bought a brand new F450. This is probably one of the best things I've ever bought my my business! There isn't a day that goes by when we don't use this truck. It has more then payed for itself, and I don't have to worry about the down time and repairs of a used truck (my dealer will give me a loner if something happens to this one). My payments are over $750 a month but I can make this doing a small mulch job one Saturday morning out of the month.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

My first business vehicle was a small dump truck ( '86 GMC C3500). My uncle, who had been in the business in the 70's and 80's recomended it to me, and even though I thought it was more than I needed at the time, it was a great move. I was able to take on a lot of jobs that I couldn't do with a pick-up, and fall clean-ups were no problem. I ended up keeping that truck for four years.
    As long as you think you have the work for it, or will eventually, I would do it. Those trucks are very versatile.

5. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

cant agree more , i have alot of side jobs and have 45 weekly accounts i thought of a new truck but then thought of the payments and the off season
    cant afford it even though i can so i keep using my 1985 gmc 2500 which i don't owe a penny on good luck if you do decide to go for a new truck :waving:

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I waited several years before I bought my dump truck. I put half down and still have 3 years to pay on it. $475 a month, so worse case I could work at burger king for 2 weeks and make the payment.

Once you buy and used a dump truck. You never will go back to a pick up.

I would go used for your first dump. So you can see what you like and then when you buy your next one you get it built just the way you want it. I recommend central hydraulics to raise the dump bed. Way faster. Plus it also can run your plow and spreader for snow removal. (mine is set up this way and I love it)

7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

What are the different types of work an LCO could use a dump truck for? Are we talking large dirt and gravel type dump trucks(CDL) or the smaller trucks?

8. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

I have a question on this topic too. When you say you cannot go without one, are you referring to using one as your primary vehicle, such as a 1ton with a dump? Use that to pull your mowers, do leaves and plow? That doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

9. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I do not Plow here in SC. NO SNOW.
    But would be interested in how one could make money with one.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I plow and salt with mine so thats the big money maker.

But other wise you can used it to haul mulch and top soil for jobs. Then haul away debris from jobs. The best part is you never have to shovel out your pick up again. And if you collect clippings its the best. Flip the switch and dump out all the clippings. A lot of companies run dumps and stack bodies for towing their mowing rigs. I do.

Well most of us use 1 ton dumps (F-350 to F-550 dump trucks) which really aren't 1 tons. Most hold 2 to 6 tons. But some bigger companies run international 4600 and 4700 dumps which are just under CDL. Great for hardscapes when moving materials.