When to buy a new mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Jun 24, 2007.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Good afternoon all

As the subject reads when should I buy a new mower? Here is the scoop I'm running a 99 John Deere GS45. This is the first mower its running ok at the moment. I just had it tuned up early this season new plug, oil change, air filter, belts, pulleys, recoil, and tires. I was out mowing yesterday and it was acting funny. Luckily I took it to the dealer and had the carb cleaned right there and then. This is the second time this year that the mower has been in the shop. Now the mower fires up 1st pull all of the time, but everything else seems to start wearing. Last season I kept breaking deck raising pins don't know why but I haven't broken 1 yet this year. I have rewired the mower last month due to it melting the whole wire plug. The steering is starting to get a little sloppy. The mower has no hour meter but I know the previous owner and he didn't use it for many properties. The dealer stated that she would give me 1K for it. This dealer is in my target area and they sell Ferris. They can't get anymore walk behinds because they are sold out at Ferris. The Wright dealer is in a total opposite direction. They are a big dealer but it takes a week for them to get anything back to you. My question is when should I cut ties with this mower.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

From the sound of things, right now would be a good time.

You can hang on to it, but do that and most likely you won't see that 1k offer again, probably not even close.
    So you have to decide, but I'd say go for it.
    Because a grand for an 8 y.o. is a good deal, just about no matter how you cut it.

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

when the warranty runs out

4. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking that w but the new ferris walk behind has been on back order since late may the dealer told me. I was thinking wright standerbut the price ouch. I orgionally paid $1400.00 4 years ago. I was thinking that it was a decent price since on the trade in. I'm still thinking about it. If they had the new 1 in stock that would be a different story. The Ferris IS1500 they have 1for $6200.00 with a kawi on it.

5. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

If you can hold off and want to save some money wait till winter when the dealership is trying to get 07 models out to get 08 models in. In the winter time they do less lawn equipment buisness unless you live in the south they might be looking to make a deal just to get something sold. Two years ago walked into a dealership picked up a demo 60" with 22hrs on it and got it 2K less than a new one and got the 2yr warrenty. Granted you do have less of a selection in the winter time of what to purchase at the time but sometimes you can get lucky good luck to you

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

On ebay, it seems you pay more for zero-turn commercial mowers February thru March. So maybe check ebay for a one or two-year old unit now with low hours ....then sell yours in February on ebay? I saved about $2000 compared to the best deal my area John Deere dealers could offer. No sales tax either. It was a one-year old 727-A 54" deck with 300 hours & it looked brand new. Got it from a JD dealer in Columbus, OH. Shipping was just over $300 (less than the tax I would have had to pay if I bought locally). I searched for Exmark, Toro, and John Deere.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

My most successful customers turn their equipment every 1000 hours or 2 years, whichever comes first.

My U.S. Lawn customers get new equipment every 2 years. Their Z mowers will have between 700 & 1200 hours and will be in excellent shape because of their prepaid maintenance program.

I talk to LCO's all the time who keep old clapped out equipment for back up. I have never been able to understand why anyone would keep any equipment that isn't ready to perform to the max every day.

My least successful customers purchase used equipment, do their own repairs and have a lot of down time.

We usually have one Pro-Day each year and offer some very low prices. Due to the slow equipment sales because of a lack of rain this year we are going to have a Christmas in July Sale which will run for the whole month and will be exactly the same as our one day sale.

Oldtimer

You can lead them to water but you can't make them drink