1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to buy used equipment?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Michael950, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Michael950

Michael950 LawnSite Member
    from C

What time of year is the best time to purchased used equipment? I assume the fall, however wanted confirmation since I have no clue.

Also, does used equipment flood the market at that time or is it trickle?

I've had little success in finding a used eXmark Viking in my area that hasn't been beaten and abused, and wanted to know when it is best be on alert.
  2. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Buy it when you find a "good" deal.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Put get it when it is available!
  4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked for a used Scag for months during the mowing season. Looked on Ebay, plus all the online Thrifty Nickel/Dime Saver-type places. Looked at all the online big city newspaper classifieds within 1000 miles. I finally found one at the end of the season, in October. In November, I saw several for sale...

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Good deals come up all the time so be ready to put a deposit down if you find a good machine. What type of equipment are you looking for?
  6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

In an economic downturn, used equipment runs at a premium and is usually either held onto longer by the original purchaser or scooped up by those with deeper pockets.

If you see something this year, my advice would be to get it fast, or it's going to go to someone else.

On the other hand, DON'T buy unless you either know the owner does maintainence, or the seller has the maintainence records for the unit - only way to be sure you're not getting hosed.
  7. Michael950

from C

This is the type of info I am looking for.

I know not to wait when I see a good deal, so Buy it when you find a "good" deal is a capt. obvious response. I guess my question (for the others) should read: at what time of the year is the selection for used equipment largest, or during what time of the year is it best to buy due to a large increase in the supply of used mowers.
  8. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Largest increase in the amount of mowers on the market usually comes after the cutting season is over - typically October/November.
  9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Oct-Dec. LCO's that turn their equipment over every few years will put it on the market during this time so they can purchase the next big offering in mowers.
  10. Michael950

from C

Figured as much, thanks!