When to buy....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 25, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Have any of you bought a mower in the fall/winter without actually seeing how well it mows? I've seen some pretty good deals on WBs around here but I'm not sure if I should wait until I have some grass to mow so I can see the cut quality. If I wait until spring, the price will no doubt be higher, but if I buy now I really can't tell how well it cuts. So, do you take a chance now and save money or wait, be sure and pay more?

Thanks,

Joel B.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you come across a deal, post it on LS and ask the memebers what they think about this type mower you're looking at. Ask for their opinions.

Pretty simple I think.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'd wait..

Why pay for something that will not be making you money for a few months.. if financed, you pay that too. Plus loose those months in warranty coverage.

4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I did post some WB prices I had found but didn't get much response about the prices, maybe they weren't that great.

Thanks,

Joel

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You won't loose any months on your warranty that you wouldn't loose anyways. If you don't usually mow in Dec, Jan, or Feb, they would be lost either way.

If you finance, you will pay interest during the off months, or if you pay cash, you will lose the interest. But see how much you save vs. how much you will lose.

The only place I know of that runs (very super) sales in the spring is Russo Power Equipment in Chicago. They don't sell Exmark but they do sell Toro.

I'm going to buy, but it will be right after Jan. 1st.

6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

When we financed our WB it was done at the dealerships.(different ones) They were financed through Sheffield Financial and there are no payments till April and no finance charge till March. We didn't demo either one and were very satisfied. They are a Scag 36" and a Exmark 48". I say go for it. Hope this helps.
    Matt

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to buy another ztr, but I'll wait till 2003. Write off for next year. well at least start the depriaciation(sp) anyways. I already know what kind I'm getting.

8. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

if the mower comes with a two year warrenty wait till spring then you get 2 full seasons out of it covered. since your cutting up nort. thats got to be worth what your saving now and then some... i think?