when to change deck belt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by eastportstar, Jun 14, 2012.

1. eastportstar

eastportstar LawnSite Member

just wondering when is the time to change the deck belt on my 2010 zmaster 48. it's got 350 hours on it, was gonna pick up a belt just to have as a spare but they're almost $100. no indication of problem yet, but never had a ztr before this one (i bought it new). so far i've only changed the filters and oils. it's been a great machine. also, how many hours are you guys getting out of blades. i'm on my 5th set of blades so i guess they're lasting 90 hours per set (sharpened maybe 4 times, now they're all shot).

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i would change it when it breaks. otherwise you've changed it too early.

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Bad cuts or fraying in the belt are when it should be replaced. Or when the belt stretches out to much.

I dont know how you could go 90 hours with only 4 sharpenings, and have the blades shot already. That seems like they are going out quick. I sharpen, often to keep them very sharp, but dont take off much, so they still last very long for me.

4. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been sharpening daily for a few years now and have noticed my blades last much much longer than sharpening them once a week, less than that, etc. Takes much less blade off each sharpening

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

When it blows up and stops working.

6. eastportstar

eastportstar LawnSite Member

I dont know how you could go 90 hours with only 4 sharpenings, and have the blades shot already. That seems like they are going out quick. I sharpen, often to keep them very sharp, but dont take off much, so they still last very long for me.[/QUOTE]

i meant all 4 prior sets were sharpened about 4 times , so in the 350 hours, i've put on 16 sets of sharp blades (just estimating), 20 something hours before sharpening.

7. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

our deck belts get changed when they break...always have a spare with us...as far as blades go, we sharpen everyday and a set lasts about 3 months...and mowers run about 6-7 hrs each day 5 days a week....

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Before it breaks. When you have time.