When to change hydro oil/filter on Gravely 36in walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smallstripesnc, Jul 31, 2012.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a brand new Gravely Pro Walk dual hydro walk behind.

The manual doesn't state when to change the hydro oil and filter.

When is this suppose to be done? I'm at 35hrs right now. I changed the oil and filter at 8hrs and plan to change it again at 50hrs and I always grease the fittings once a week as the manual says and blow out the air filter weekly and more often if I mow a dusty lawn.

So I have it all down except when to change the hydro oil and filter!

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

It's an enclosed system not really suppose to change it.If you want change the filter every other year.

3. watsmi57

watsmi57 LawnSite Senior Member

I had this very same question last year when I bought mine. I went to the dealer and they called Gravely to be sure. Service the hydros at 400 hours.

this was suprising to me since my 252 required a service at 75 hours then at 400 from then on. but it's a totally different system on the WB vs the Pro-turn.

If you want to be sure call Gravely 920-756-4688

4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't blow out the air filter. That's the worst thing you can do. Knock it against a tire or something to get rid of the dirt and dust. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for carb issues and more.

5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I always blow the air filter out. If I had to replace it every time it got dirty, I'd go broke. Blow from the inside out. I have a 3/16 steel brake line that is bent at a 90 so it blows out all the way around on the inside. It's a Donaldson filter housing. I did replace it once so far after 4 years. I must be doing something right. The cotton inner element is still white and for the most part clean. Thanks for reminding me I need to blow it out again. I mow a place that no matter how much you try, you create a huge dust cloud. I know the neighbors love to see me pull up. LOL