1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to cut them off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Team Gopher, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

How many services will you perform for a customer if they are over due in payment?
    At what point do you stop performing the services?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm surprised in you TG...didn't you do a search? ;)
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Terms on the invoice are 15 days, after 30 there done,Which means they are already into us for 7-8 weeks of mowing.
    If they call and explain extenuating circumstances we will try to work with them to some extent but we are still not running a charity and there is a limit. Also depends on the customer and their financial abilities.Larger work is payable upon completion,unless an arrangement has been negotiated prior.(mostly existing customers that are regular payers,New customers are definitely payable upon completion.)
  4. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

LMAO! :D
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we will usually do about 2-3 additional weeks of service before we stop. Sometimes they are on vacation, family member has passed away, or my just recent was in the hospital for 2 weeks.
  6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

30days from last invoice, will be dropped if no contact of anykind has been made. i will threaten with legal action and this gets their attention 99% of the time. i will still drop them after payment. the electric and water departments arent that forgiving, why should i be. a fellas got to eat.
  7. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

no more than 2 services from the last invoice due... I try to give them 30 days. After that I am at the door prior to unloading any equipment.
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Overdue = No further services until bill is up to date.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I usually have my payments due by the 15th or 20th of the month. If I do not get payment by the 30th, I try to make contact. If no response, I cut services. I try not to let it go that long, try to keep up on things. But I did let a veteran customer go too long this year with her lawn and snow account, and I ended up being out about $40 still on her. I stopped her services, called and wrote. $40 isn't enough to bother with on court, so I guess I'm out.
  10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I bill my customers at the end of each month. Most of them pay within a week. I usually will wait until the 15th of the month before stopping service unless the customer makes special arrangements with me. I try to accomodate customers when they run into a bad month financially. We all run into unexpected bills now and then. But I never go more than 3 weeks after billing.