1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to Deep 6 equipment??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoubleCutter, Sep 9, 2003.

1. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

Hi Ya'll its been a long time since Ive had the chance to come here and chat and give you my own .02 cents.(man are the days getting short)

Heres my question. When do you get rid of your equipment, Im talking riders...Now its not like figuring out the losing point of owning a car, and theirs more specific data to figure your cars value, and whens a good time to trade in, sell, etc.

My Scag TT is getting up their, 4 years old, and by the end of the season probably have 1600+ Hrs. Im a one man operation with 40 accts, and my only spare is my w-b. which will force me into quitting my other full time job if my rider should die. So having reliable equipment is a MUST. But Im leary on selling mower...and definietly psyched to keep it as a spare. Its going to need a motor here eventually etc etc. But I could probably get 3500-4000 for it half the cost of a new one...Contemplating
    Im looking at a 27hp Kohler 61" Turf Tiger(I will only buy Scag) for around 8400 out the door.

I made this into a big post for a simple question, but how you guys determine Spare-Sell-Drive it into the ground. Right now Im thinking all of the above.
    Give me your thoughts
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

your current rider needs to become your backup.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yes a backup is a must if u have a full time job and limited time to do this a backup is a must it will be worth more to u in happy customers if anything happens to the primary mower
  4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sell the WB and keep the Scag as a backup. 1600 hrs is not alot of hours if properly maintained. One of our Scags we bought in March of this year already has over 650 Hrs on it.
  5. DoubleCutter

This is what Im thinking too. I wont have to quit my other job if rider should go down, But I also work for my fathers garbage company, and im his only employee, So its kinda tough when SHTF. Im probably going to need a decent right-off- depreciation for next year if things stay as they are now, Just really wanted to pay off my truck and get out of debt before adding to it. Im going to play by ear......But this time next year Ill be sitting on a new mower. Bill
  6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

DoubleCutter, have you had any problems with idler/tensioner pulleys going out in 200 to300 hrs., both of our new machines have had this problem.
  7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

my turf ranger doesn't have any exmark red paint on it. the deck has some big chunks taken out of the sides.drive tires are racing slicks.engine has been replaced among other things.2 of my edgers fall apart by the end of the day.one broke the whole handle off and the other had the edger arm rip off from the base.i still use these things everyday.as long as i can buy parts or make my own i will keep them until they rot away
  8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Why only scag
  9. DoubleCutter

Z turn no I havent. I had one idler on the deck go south last year. And I just replaced one that drives the hyd. pumps in back today. The deck happened at 1000-1100 hrs? And the idler in back I replaced today wasnt in bad shape, But was giving me the tell-tale signs.

I only buy Scag for alot of reasons, The Exmark my brother demoed a few months back I tryed and hated, I tried looking past "the fact" Ive sat on my machine for 1400hrs...Layout of Exmark sucks, Its a joke trying to adjust the height in a hurry, the hitch pin with clip stinks(My scag has the hitch pin with ball). God forbid you need to kill the blades quick...end up smashing the switch with your feet, because thats closest to the switch.. I dont like the fact that the emergency foot pedal deck lift requires your foot up in the air(uncomfortable) Non greasable spindles, Dual gas tanks, I cant even remember what else.
    Nothing else (company wise) Is really available near me, parts are available in a 5 minute ride.
    And personally I thought my mower laid a nicer stripe than the Exmark, even though my machine didnt or Exmark demo have a striping kit.
    Im really a PITA when it comes to developing opinions, Just think all around nothing can compete with Scag. Oh yeah I think the front casters on that Exmark look wimpy compared to Scag.

Please dont be offended by my opinions of Exmark, guess im just old school.... stick with what ya like
    Opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're using your w/b at all, wouldn't think of selling it, can be so very versitile.
    Wouldn't sell your rider for that matter, unless it's a must for financial reasons. If you have to have a rider at all times, buy another unit, replace engine in old unit when you HAVE to. As long as the frame/deck is good, you can do a lot of hardware replacing for less than a new unit. You'll really have a pocket full of options for equipment at that point.