When to fertilize a newly est. yard?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jcr_17, May 9, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am mowing for a gentleman with a yard that has been installed for only a couple of months. When can I start fertilizing and with what?

2. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

10-10-10 fert
    i would have put it down with grass seed.
    then, 10-10-10 3wk of june
    then, 10-10-10 wk after labor day
    then, 10-10-10 mid oct
    then, 20-10-10 thanksgiving week

3. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

thank you kindly

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

10-10-10 fert
    i would have put it down with grass seed.
    then, 10-10-10 3wk of june
    then, 10-10-10 wk after labor day
    then, 10-10-10 mid oct
    then, 20-10-10 thanksgiving week

Sounds like a plan . . . for cool season turf.

But if you're trying to establish a warm season turf out in West Texas, talk to your county extension agent about a plan. I doubt you'll need anywhere near that much P throughout the year. Our soils have an abundance of P. And the late feedings are of less benefit of to warm season grasses. You need N & K now. That West Texas heat is something that Northerners don't comprehend!

5. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Assuming you are treating a warm season turf, I would fert now and in 6-8 week intervals. September would probably be a good time for your final app assuming frost comes there in late Oct. Yes,native P content is probably okay, but many Tx sod growers swear on using a balanced ratio during establishment (10-10-10,17-17-17,etc.). Avoid heavy rates of application first year although bermuda toughens up pretty quick. Best thing for any lawn (new or established) in west Tx is WATER and lots of it.