When to fertilize in S/W Ohio?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by harrydog, Nov 10, 2004.

1. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I'm a homeowner in southwest Ohio. I aerated and overseeded in September and applied a starter fertilizer at that time. The grass looks pretty good right now. My question is, when should I do the next application of fertilizer and what type should I use?
    Should I use a fertilizer with a weed-killer in it (dandelions) or should I wait until next Spring or Summer do that? Shoul I apply a fertilizer now, or wait until December? :help:
    Any help is appreciated.

2. get a soil sample.

no herbicide until turf mowed (NEW SEEDLING) 3 TIMES

Where are you located in ohio?

3. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I'm just northeast of Cincinnati.
    I've already mowed the new gras at least 3 or 4 times.

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Come on tim, he's a homeowner, he donst need a soil sample to tell when its time to fert a lawn,

Im sure 99% of homeowners wouldnt even know how to read a soil sample.

I say one more " winter fert " and no weed control will be fine.

5. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Can I do the winter fertilzing anytime between now and the end of the year, or is it best to do it right now?

6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Anytime would be fine, I space my apps out 42days and I always do my lawn the week of thanksgiving, But IM in the snow belt, so I do it right before a snow storm if it is forcasted before turkey day.

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Harrydog,
    I am in the northeast area of cincinnati. Around the loveland/Maineville area and work all thru out the general area.
    I can help you out one way or another. I can come out and evaluate your lawn and maybe run a soil test, recommend what is needed to be done for a small service fee.
    Or I can winterize your lawn for you and save you the hassel.
    If interested let me know.
    Mike