When to fertilize?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMB, Oct 12, 2000.

1. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best time to fertilize, fall or spring? Also what type to use for both times? I am asking this for a customer, as we don't fertilize yet. Thanks!

2. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

I fert. 4 times a year, but if I had to only fert. once a year I would go with spring.

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I fert 5 times/year for my customers. Most guys I sub to, I fert 4 times.

In northern turfgrass, if you only fert 1x/year, do so in the fall.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Lazer. Grass will grow in the spring even if it never gets fertilized. Spring time is when about all lawns look nice and green.

5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure where you are at but go to http://www.agry.purdue.edu and they offer some good advice on this.They give in detail what you should be doing every month for a Indiana lawn, great info from Purdue.

6. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

THE BEST TIME TO FERTILZE TURF IS IN THE FALL.IF THE TURF HAS HAD A TOUGH YEAR INSECTS, DISEASE AND DROUGHT APPLY AN ALL PURPOSE FERTILZER SUCH AS 19-19-19. IF THE TURF HAS DONE WELL WITH ADDIQUATE RAINFALL APPLY A GOOD WINTERIZER.
    IN MY LAWN CARE PROGRAMS I APPLY A 15-0-30. THIS WILL NOT PUSH LUSH GROWYH GOING INTO WINTER. BUT WILL PROMOTE GOOD ROOT GROWTH AND ENOUGH N TO PROMOTE GOOD CARBS AND SUGAR PRODUCTION. NOT IF YOUR IN THE MOWING BUSINESS, APPLING A HIGH NITROGEN FERTILIZER IN THE FALL CAN CREATE ALOT OF UNWANTED TURF GROWTH NEXT SPRING. DO YOU WANT THID SINCE THE TURF GROWS PRETTY WELL ON ITS OWN IN THE SPRING.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Rodney,
    That was great info and I'm not trying to be a smart grA** but ALL CAPS ARE HARD ON THE EYES. And I am serious about the great info in your post. Thanks .

8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

15-0-30 is probably the best fertilizer ratio for fall.