When to go "full time"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm debating on quitting my full time job and doing lawn care full time. I have been doing lc part time for 2 years now ,and my business has really grown. I am operating my "part time" business as a full time biz (insurance, equipment, accept credit cards, the whole thing) ,I not someone just trying to make some mad money. I would love to leave my job of 20 years and do lawn care full time ,but I guess I'm a little worried. I've heard all the things about being afraid to fail ,but really when did you guys (and gals) make the switch to full time. What prompted you to make the switch ,did you get laid off or did you choose to go into it full time. I currently earn $55 k a yr at my full time job ,can I make this much in lawn care? I think I can in fact I think the earning potential is huge ,but I would like to hear it from some of you that have done it. Thats what this forum is all about ,right?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can. I was making about $50 when i quit my job. What prompted me to leave was my boss, quite simple. Kind of a struggle at first, but after a while its great. Been 8 years in July, and I cant complain
  3. Smitty58

lawnman_scott - thanks, what was the struggle? Did you do lc part time before quitting your full time job?
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am in the same boat as you. I am to the point that most my time outside my fulltime job is spent on my part-time job (lawncare). How I am going to do it is bank most everything I can this year. Next spring quit my full-time job and get a part-time job working in the evenings. This will allow me to spend more of my time "on my business", instead of "in my business".

Good luck
  5. Smitty58

walker - that is exactly what I am thinking. Quit my full time job and get a part time job + grow my lc businees to eventually do lawn care "only". The problem is working 50 hrs a week on my full time doesn't leave a lot of time to grow. Basically my full time job is getting in the way.
  6. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Smitty,
    My situation is similar to yours and I'm about the same age.I doubt if you'll ever get to the point where you can do this without exposing yourself to SOME risk.Eventually,if this is what you truly want to do,you have to just "go for it",IMHO.If you already have a pretty good customer base and decent cash flow then your chances of success should be excellent.
    This is physically demanding work.I feel like if I'm going to build a successful landscaping business I need to go ahead and get started.In response to your question about potential income,I believe the sky's the limit.Good luck!
  7. Smitty58

Thanks allstar, I agree you can "what if" it to death and at some point you have to jump in or not. I really believe and others have told me the earning potential is big ,I just want to do as much research before jumping.
  8. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

you just have to take thr plunge. i qiut my 55 + hr a wk job cold turkey. i had one account it was a small one. i qut in Feb. passed out 4000 fliers door to door in march, now i have 30. and with those 30 i have enough side work (bushes and L scaping) to keep me comfortable. my situation was just right for it. i live with my parents still (not all that great) i have no kids ( which i know about) so all i had to take care of was myself. 30 acounts isn't a gold mind but it is good for being solo for 4 months. Its a risk you have to take to be independant, granted its not a multi-million dollar buisness but there was sleepless nights in the begining. My market up here in Northwest Indiana is unbelievably flooded. You can stand on the corner of a not so busy street and see a lc truck pass by every 10 minutes and all be different. Just this morning i saw in the paper some guy is has an ad that reads "13.75 most lawns" thats crazy and what the heck is the .75 just make it even.well anyhow get some flyers and go to town. it has become a tough buisness eveybody is getting in it, but the guys or gals who are dependable and do good complete work are the ones who will stay. well thats my opinion wether you read this or not. Peace-Good Luck
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just this morning i saw in the paper some guy is has an ad that reads "13.75 most lawns" thats crazy and what the heck is the .75

He got that straight out of either a business course/school or book. The belief that the odd ending change "sounds" cheaper in the business world, esp vs. the retail standard of .95 or .99. WalMart takes that to the extreme even. I agree an even number as all my quotes are a stand i.e. $30 etc amount.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How much do you need to live on? Can you live for about 6 months to a year? You may need to. Can you make 55k in lawn care? Yes, Is it easy to do that? No Will you start out at that amount? No. Why do you want to quit your job? do you have kids?
    There are a lot of young people that live at home that will say "go for it" but do the math. Its easy to take 20-30K pocket money and say that there is great money in this but if you need to pay a mortgage and car payments and health insurance and school stuff it can get to be a hard road to follow. Can you live all winter with no cash. Do a business plan. A REAL one , not just 35 x100, wow I'm rich. Jobs are hard to come by these days, so no since dropping one on a pipe dream. You know your financial stats better than us so the question is only to be answered by you.
    Yes you can make good money at this but it is hard work. If you love the work and want to run a business than go for it. Good luck with you decision.