When to go out and get contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

This will be my second year mowing and I was wondering when you guys head out to try to get more contracts. What is the best time to go out and talk to business'. I just don't want to be to late and miss out on a contract. any info would be greatly appreciated

2. unique lawns

unique lawns LawnSite Member

Well to help answer your question, based on my own experiences is that there is no specific time to get business. But there are some strategies that can help with timming. Here in Florida summer is the busiest season in the lawn business, That is when every body is too busy to even keep up with the accounts they already have. That's when I offer my services the most, I hire extra help to keep up with all the work. But on the other hand, I have got some of my best accounts during winter, that is when usaully the contracts are up and costumers are looking for new companies. I would say that all the time is the best time to look for new contracts.
    http://www.uniquelawns.web.com

3. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Duncan,

I have found that most of the larger accounts want bids in by the end of January. As the size of the account gets smaller the closer to season they will except bids.

Jay

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This question goes along with Duncan IN's question. I know alot of the commercial accounts need to be done around January, but how do you give a bid on a property for grass cutting when it's covered with snow, like they are here in Wisconsin?

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think that would fall under the creative estimating chapter!

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I could shovel off their property, that would show a determined and hard charging business man going the extra mile, orrrrrrrrrrrrr, make me look like an idiot LOL.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Go get that new BR 420 Stihl, it has a defrost feature on it that will melt away 12 ft-------no-------20' snowdrifts. People are using it to ice fish with now, they stick it to the ice and a hole appears in seconds---no more messy ice chipping! No more scraping ice off those windshields either, stick it up there and presto, you got a clean heated windshield.

Amazing machine-------------really!

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

That sounds like something you could heat a house
    with.

9. Eric Green

Eric Green LawnSite Member

My name is Eric and I'm going into my second season.
    Last year I did all residential but I would like to bid on commercial properties this year.
    Is there a particular format that you guys use to bid for apartments or factories.Also that was my next ? about bidding in snow-covered conditions. Thanks you guys are great to have around! Just like a bunch of older brothers with tons of knowledge.

10. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

What snow? All we got here is rain. I can't help you that problem.

Jay