when to go to synthetic

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by s and s mowing, Aug 9, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

my dealer told me to wait till 250 hrs to switch,i have 70 now,and also i was using oil pretty good till about 50 hrs,but im wanting to put some mobil 1 in it as soon as i can.what does exmark reccomend.

2. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I could be wrong but I think Exmarks come with Mobil 1 in the engine, at least thats what I always thought...

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

The engine manufactures recommend waiting until after the first oil change. I generally recommend waiting until after the 2nd or 3rd.

We use Mobil 1 standard in the hydro drive system and not the engine. All of your power equipment engines should be ran on petroleum oil for the first 5-10 hour break in period.

Thanks

Terry

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Can you give us the specific reason as to why? What are we waiting to break in?

5. eXmark

Dishboy,

A new enigne but literaly get some wear in it for the bearings, rings and all the moving parts to seat properly. If this doesn't happen these parts many never function properly. Just as an example a brand new engine may not have full compression until the rings seat and thus it won't build full power or it may also consume excessive amounts of oil.

The synthetic oils are too slick for the wear/seating/break in process to occur properly.

Thanks

Terry

6. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Terry

Is it a bad idea to switch to Mobile 1 after useing regular petroleum based oil, My engine has 1400 hours and runs fine just wish I had used Mobile 1 from the start.

Thanks Jack

7. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Just bring this thread back to the top, what do you think about going to Mobil 1 after 1400 hrs with Mobil 10/40 oil.

Good idea or to late the damage is done.

Thanks Jack

8. eXmark

Jack,

There is a lot of talk that switching to a synthetic on a high hour machine is a bad thing. I've heard everything from seal/gasket leaks to bearing failures. All this however has been talk. I have not seen any testing/studies etc. to verify this information.

From my own experience I would not recommend it.

Terry

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If for no other reason, don't use synthetic in the beginning because you are just wasting money. You should be dumping the factory fill and changing the filter at about 5 to 10 hours. Then at about 50. Some people do the second change even sooner. At that point I would do it again at 100 hours. That's just money down the toilet for no real good reason. Modern conventional oils are perfectly fine for that kind of use. I usually change them to synthetic after the third change if I decide to use synthetic.

Jack, I think the main concern with changing to a synthetic at higher hours is, as Terry mentioned, seal leakage. The only other problem I could see with it would be if there was so much sludge buildup in the engine, the synthetic could possibly break it up and clog an oil passage or pump. Other than that, there is really no risk. But at 1400 hours I would not bother. If you are changing the oil every 50 hours or so, I'm not sure I would bother on any engine, brand new or not.

10. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

What experience have you had that makes you not recommend changing to synthetic on a high hour engine?