when to lower pricing???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lance L, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering how do u determine when u are going to lower the pricing of maint. ive measured most of my yards and am working on a way to get the pricing exact but ive noticed before that when you are pricing for mowing the price per sq/ft changes after like 20,000 sq/ft? why do u do that and how do you determine when(@ how many sq/ft) to change the prices?? im confused.

thanks Lance:confused:

2. JCraig517

JCraig517 LawnSite Member

Do you actually get out with a tape measure and measure yards?...I have never heard of that. I just look ...think...and give a price.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Tape measure, no. Measuring wheel, yes.

5. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Measuring wheel is the way to go,

also walk the job if it is bigger to get a better idea on how long it will take to mow!

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my not so subtle opinion on this and anything like. We sell time for a living. Get used to it. Equipment and materials are a method to put our time to work. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you are not doing time tracking and time studies as they relate to how much of a certain task or job you can produce in a given amount of time you ain't doing jack!

Those who measure, measure up.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with billing time. I bill everything time. As far as maintenance two yards can be the same sq. ft., but if one is less accessible or has More obstacles it will take longer to get done than an open field. You had better believe I will be charging more for obstacles. :D

Oh yeah, and about lowering prices. I never lower once I quote!

8. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

We use a wheel to measure everything possible. Lawn and beds always get measured. As far as lowering prices? Never!! If the customers aren't questioning the prices why would you lower them? Why take away from your profits.

9. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

NEVER!!!

10. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

NEVER LOWER PRICES!!

People who want you to give them a cheap price are just looking for a "deal", not a job. :angry: and don't make good clients in the first place. Lets face it "cheap is cheap" and it shows. If they want cheap, they get what they pay for. I won't have my company associated with some half _ss job. My business is built on referals.

If you keep your prices in line with what your competetors charge and do a quality job, there is no need to lower yourself to some fly by nights "low ball" bid. You know what your time is worth, and you know what materials cost, so don't waste your time for someone who is not looking for a quality job. Your in business to make money, not to feel like your paying them for the privlage of working on there property.

I have a sheet that I give to all potential clients that list what the starting prices are for the most common services requested. ie: mowing, mulching, fertilizer, pruning etc..... that way there is no confusion on what the client is paying for. According to the size of the property, the prices go up from that point.

I find that having this in writing up front at the initial meeting is better than just rattleing off prices verbaly. This lets them know right away they are dealing with a profesional, and not some "Johnny come lately"

I also give them a list of referals for them to call, so they can check out my business. Nine times out of ten, there is a name on the referal list who is a nieghbor of the potential client, and they can call or just walk down to see the quality of the work.

Just do a quality job and let your actions speak for you, then you will have no reason to lower your prices.