1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

When to move from a 21" to a larger mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jan 3, 2004.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

At what point would it be feasible to move from a 21" mower to a 32" or larger? Would the decision be based strictly on the average size of your customer's lots (my clients have an average square footage of 3 000 sq. feet) or the amount of customers you have (I have 10 as I only work part time). Thanks for the input.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You should have made this move yesterday.payup

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I got my Exmark metro hp 36" after getting my fifth lawn of the same size you have or maybe a little larger, since out of the five three were corner lots.

4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

The first day I started in Buss. I had a commercial mowers. I just could not see my self pushing a 21" er all day. Life is worth more then that

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yep, as soon as you can afford it.
    With the time you will save, you will be able to do more lawns in the same amount of time.
    I would venture to say as many as 15 lawns in the same time it took you to do 10 with your 21" mower (that's a guess, but I'm sure it's very close).

Oh, and if you can afford it, go with a hydro. You will be even more efficient, and even less fatigued at the end of the day. With the money you make taking on the extra lawns, you will pay for it in no time.

Lets's just say you're getting $30 for an average lawn, and average 26 cuts per season (these are just example numbers):

10 x $30 = $300 x 26 cuts = $7800
    15 x $30 = $450 x 26 cuts = $11,700

$3,900 more per season working about the same # of hours. You can buy a nice small hydro walk behind for that. (side note, just saw a brand new Great Dane Scamper 36" hydro sell for $2500 on eBay!!).

Good luck.

6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

when you get tired of walking buy something you can ride. you can sit on your duff and make money at the same time:D

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Many of LCO's around these parts use 21" push to mow(yard small). I do as well-for now. I'm getting ready to purchase a 36" walk-behind to increase productivity and just get a better cut. But just because someone uses a 21" doesn't mean they are a scrub (which I know some of you are thinking).

8. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Well said Precisioncut. Many yards just are not practical for anything but a 21". And there are many folks who refuse to do the 21" yards. Thats where I come in.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

as soon as you can afford it

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Whoa! Easy there. Nobody here said anything about that. Don't read too much into a post.
    Everyones simply giving him some advice.
    If 21"s work for you, go for it!! Certainly much less investment needed, that's for sure.