When to move up from a 21" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 16, 2006.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick question. Average lot sizes in my neck of the woods range from a low of 1500 sq foot to 5 or 6000 sq ft. Most have ditches, trees, heavy landscape etc. to deal with. Many gates into backyards are about 33" across. Would it be better to move away from a 21" commercial unit and go up to a 32 or 36" or just stick to a 21" Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would jump up yo a 36" as soon as i could. It's going to save you so much time. Just buy a nice 36 com WB and that will be a good start.:waving:

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Joe - how long have you been doing 5K-6K properties with a 21?

How much (USD please) does a client pay you to do these?

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The 36 would be a great way to go except for the 33 inch gate problem. I'm assuming the backyards are typically bigger than the front?

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

If your on the fence on weather or not you should buy a com wb, buy a nice used 32'' belt drive. Around my area, there seems to be a abundance of mid 90's bobcats. You can buy one for under 750$.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

look for a used 32 and see how you like it before commiting to buying a new one. i went from a 21 to a 32 and found it could go almost every where a 21 could

7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I can weed eat as fast as mow with a 21 inch, so the only 2 gates in my 50 accounts sometimes get mowed with a 21, but sometimes I just dont even want to go get it. Just weed eat it instead. Get as large a deck as you think possible, and use the 21 thru the gates. It would help to know the percentage of gates tho in your case.