1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

When to mow sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Apr 21, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Today I went and looked at a lawn at a new house for somebody and the guy just had sod put in about two weeks ago but the grass was growing pretty good. I got the job and it looks like it needs a mow. I was just wondering how long you are supposed to wait before mowing a new sod lawn. The roots don't seem to be established to well yet. Thanks
  2. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Pull up on the rolls to see if they've rooted. Owners are probably watering every day so have them refrain from watering for a day before you go to cut it so your wheels won't leave furrowed tracks. On average I'd say we usually wait three weeks. Cut it tall the first time and gradually drop your height each subsequent mowing 'till you get to the recommended height. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Go real easy in the turns for a month or so,and watch out for poorly laid corners,if there is alot of them re roll it first.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

If you own a walker with a 42'' GHS deck be careful!!!!!I once sucked up a full length of sod with my walker.I mad and at the same time I was almost laughing becouse it was like somthing out of a cartoon!!!!!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Adam:<br>Been there, done that. It's not a pretty sight either.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  6. pete

pete LawnSite Member

We usualy use a 21 the first couple of times when we mow a newly sodded lawn. We find the bigger mowers tear up not fully rooted pieces. I it is better to take a little longer than haveing to deal with choped up sod.
  7. pro turf

pro turf LawnSite Member
    from nyc

depending on the quality of the sod , usually 2-3 weeks. check the root establishment underneath but you must also be aware of saturated soil due to irrigation.if the weight of your machines 'sink', you may skin the lawn and leave unsightly , uneven patterns. try to cut it for the first time on a 'dryer' day on harder soil.