When to Mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrbobian, May 27, 2007.

1. mrbobian

mrbobian LawnSite Member

I know that this may sound like a dumb question, but how do you guys know when to mow. I have some accounts that I mow like every Thursday or whatever and there are some that say mow it whenever it needs and there are some others that just call me and let me know. Im just wondering how most of you do it.

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I only offer 7 or 14 days...and I set them up on my route...so when I run my route is when I cut it...whether that be Wednesday...Friday...Sat...whatever. I dont let people call me and tell me when they need it...its 7, 14, or find someone else.

3. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

i set mine up every week and tell my customers to plan on me coming unless i tell them. And if they don't want it mowed to call. but if i get there and it dosen't need it till the next week then i'll just skip it

4. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

Wjw Lawn Has It Right. Thats The Only Way You Can Operate A Profitable And Realiable Biz.

5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

EXACTLY!!!!

6. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

same here.... weather permitting, my customers could set their clocks by when we arrive each week. need to have that constant, reliable income. that's why no "on-call" or one time cuts....

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. ....

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I am doing a few every 10 days. Last year it wasn't a big deal, but now that my schedule is full it's a real pita and can really screw up my schedule. So all new customers get on a 7 or 14 day schedulde, and next years that goes for everyone. When the grass isn't growing so fast (LIKE NOW! :realmad: )I will just skip the weeklys that haven't grown. Mowing when it doesn't need it and it's hot and dry will just damage the lawn. Weekly or biweekly. There is no other way.