When to mow???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawns of KY, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Lawns of KY

Lawns of KY LawnSite Member

We have had 2 straight days of steady rain. My customers grass is growing like crazy. How long should you wait before you start cutting after rain?

Also, I have a 60" Lazer Z rider and have problems with my tires wanting to tear up the turf when I try to turn. Any suggestions on how to combat this? This is only when I try to do a Zero Turn.
  2. It quits today we will be going at it hot tommorrow.
  3. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Same here. On nice, level yards, I cut as long as it's not pouring down rain. Just have to be careful turning.
  4. Grass Groomer

Grass Groomer LawnSite Member

Ive found that when turning the best way to avoid a corkscrew effect is to have the wheels going in opposite directions. For left turn the right wheel should be going forward while the left is going in reverse and the opposite for a right turn. At least this works for me. It may depend on what kind of mower and set-up you have. Good luck with the rain.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You are not going to be able to do a “turn in place” after all of the rain. You will need to do a 3 point turn when the turf is soft which means taking more time to turn but less turf damage.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A nice light used belt drive wb mower comes in handy on days like that, gets you back mowing faster. I now live where the soil drains fast, but last year I had the 44" toro around just for those situations. I was probably out mowing half a day earlier than I otherwise would have with my ZTR, and my ZTR was no 60" monster. I had some lawns that were poorly drained and were so swampy you couldn't touch them for 2 days after heavy rains. But the belt drive wb would do it. The ZTR would have sloughed off the top layer of turf and slid down the hill making like a sod cutter.
  7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

This works REALLY well in the rain, especially on Zero Turns

mower turning arrows.jpg