when to overseed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trying 2b organic, Jun 16, 2004.

1. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

The overseeding i did after power rake in February took much better than the overseeding I did with topdressing in April.

The reason is that in Feb. the grass seedlings didnt have to compete with new weeds. I have a lot of questions but I'll just choose one.... ok 2. What is the best prep to overseed? topdressing, aeration, power rake or de-thatch?
    And, when is the best time to overseed. When the weather is too cool for weeds but not for grass. Im thinking I should try to just beat the chickweed which starts in March. (I am Pacific Northwest) ty very much for input.

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

the best time to overseed is in the fall, cooler nights which promotes seed growth, crab grass dies off, weeds die off and so its just the new grass thats going to grow. In the fall do not dethatch, just aerate. Then in the early spring dethatch and put down crab grass preventer. If you need to seed in the spring, do it real early so 3-4 weeks after the grass is growing, you can put down the preventer if that is a problem.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Fall is the best time to overseed.