When to place ad to hire.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Feb 6, 2004.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

I need someone full time from mar.15 to dec.1 (roughly) When is the most effective time to place a newspaper ad? To early and people will not want to wait. To late and I fear getting no one.

Any other tips are helpful. I plan on:
    1. Newspaper Ad
    2. Go to Hispanic unemployment area and check around.
    3. Unemployment office
    4. Temp agency?

I fear it will be very hard to find someone with a drivers licence and reliable transportation to do a $10 per hr. job and be reliable. Especially just for the season.
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I would place the ad March 1. When I put an ad looking for new customers, I usually get a few calls from people who are looking for work. Last year, from my newspaper ad, I got 2 people looking for work,(but didn't know what is a commercial mower) and 2 telemarketers wanting me to advertise with them. One was Thrifty nickel, they go through the ads in other papers and telemarket them. People with other ads have had them call, too.
    I also got a call from startup landscaper's wife, new in town, wanting to know if the newspaper ad was worth it.
    Oh, yeah, one call for a lawn estimate, too. That ad was a waste of money. But you have to try, I'll be trying again this year.
  3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i advertise for help two weeks before the starting date. here in the northeast, start date for my foremen is march1 for crewmen march 15. i run the ad for one week. during that week i am taking calls and scheduling interviews for the following week. if i find the right person during interviews in the 2nd week, they start on the monday following.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would suggest asking around first before placing the ad. A lot of times for me in the past it just a headache to listen to the answering machines (some were funny) and also to get through resumes
  5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

last year i actually had a guy come in for an interview at 9am who already smelled of beer. now, i'm not a teetotoler or anything, but...

also had a kid come in who had experince. upon calling reference, he pushed a 5hp murrey around after high school for one of his teachers.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The thrifty nickle does that here too. I used to mow their lawn for a advertizement. I quit, and they kept the add in for a few months
  7. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

A few years back I advertised in the paper for workers, I had 50 or more reponses for the positions, of those 50 only 2 had a divers liscense and not one had experience. Advertising in the paper for workers is wasted money. Go to the state employment office they will be more then happy to work with you, by giving them the standards you are looking for they will screen the applicants for you. Much cheaper and so much easier.